Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Back to Blogging!


I haven't written in several months. Life got in the way! To explain it all at this late time would make for an extremely lengthy diatribe so I will give a brief synopsis then cut to the chase.

My last posting was in August. Bill and I had gone out for dinner and what turned out to be an extraordinarily soggy walk. It would be our last date night for awhile. Two weeks later we had a life altering experience. Much to our shock and dismay Bill suffered a serious heart attack. The prognosis wasn't good. Many of his arteries were blocked so, he had emergency  surgery. The surgeon was incredible. Five bypasses later Bill was on the road to recovery. Fortunately the process that seemed to be endless was only two months from the day of surgery then back to the classroom for Bill. We were blessed!

And now I find myself at a place I call my "Emancipation Day" anniversary. It was a year ago, March 5th that I chose to leave my job as a teacher. The timing was shocking to myself and probably others, but it has turned out to be one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I was no longer feeling effective as an educator and in desperate need of further horizons. Though my choice to leave was reactive to an unpleasant event, it was just what I actually needed to have the guts to move on in my life. I will always have many happy memories of my career as an elementary school teacher. But at this time, I find myself in the place that I want to be.

God knew what he was doing. He needed me to stay home to help my husband recover from surgery. He needed me to be there for my mom and her appointments now that she no longer drives (my siblings carry their weight in this effort as well, I am no saint). I am able to help with grandchildren and be available when our new granddaughter arrives in July. And, when Madeleine's and Killian's 1st grade Daisy Scout troop needed a co-leader I was able to step up to the plate.  Many gifts have been granted me in my retirement, and I am most grateful.

I am also thrilled to be reunited with friends that I lost touch with because I was working. They too are blessings. So all in all,  I'm pleased to say that I'm a happy girl, back to blogging and hoping to inspire in any way that I can. And now I am working on by Bucket List! More to come…

The following is a link to the American Heart Association if you would like information about heart attacks and heart disease. It is important to know the signs!
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/WarningSignsofaHeartAttack/Warning-Signs-of-a-Heart-Attack_UCM_002039_Article.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment