Saturday, June 16, 2012

Thoughts on Endings and Reunions


Now that the “Three Weeks to the Suit” mission has ended, I have renamed my blog “Happy to be at Home.” That’s because, I am. I have had several months to ponder the reasons that I left teaching, a career that I loved. I know I did the right thing in doing so. One’s priorities and dignity must come first. I left my students abruptly, and it was certainly one of the hardest things I have ever done. I let them down. They are too young to understand adult issues, and I understand that. But we must prioritize. God first, then family, and finally, career. This time family trumped career. I’m at peace with my decision, and that’s what matters. Thank you for indulging me for a moment. Now I shall move on.

It seems as though we are celebrating our 40th high school reunion next week. I have not committed to going, but probably will attend. One of my best friends is coming from Virginia and has managed to shame me into making an appearance. I think her words were something like, “I never used to HAVE to talk you into playing and laughing.”

The reunion has possibilities. I was in a class of about one thousand students. I was only average, and I don’t think I will be remembered. But, as it turns out, I remember many faces and too much of what happened in those days. I don’t know why I have this silly gift (or curse), but I do. It will be fun to see who else is able to remember the class of 1972!
Top picture, my sophomore year. Bottom picture, my fifth grade class. I am first row first student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment